Saturday, September 1, 2012

Day 36: Smoking at the "Corner"


     It is very interesting how there is this rule of no smoking on campus. There are properties that are right in the middle of campus but are not legally a part of campus and this is where all smokers have to go to smoke. LOL! It is on campus, right in the middle of campus, 100 ft from the buildings we take classes in. It is interesting shit! This spot is called the "corner". What is interesting is that I meet someone new everyday while smoking at the "corner". It has become like a hang out spot. Non-smokers even go to the "corner" to socialize with other people.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to think that the rule of no smoking on campus to be bullshit instead of realizing that "no smoking" in public areas is slowly but surely becoming a part of society.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to feel that rules of not being allowed to smoke in public areas is bullshit instead of realizing that the reason I think these rules are bullshit is because of my own self-interest.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to disobey the rules of "no smoking" on campus because I believe this rule to be bullshit.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to think that rules of "no smoking" to be bullshit because I feel that I should be able to smoke anywhere I want to if I am not blowing smoke in another person's face not realizing that this is a confirmation of my own self-interest.

I forgive myself for not accepting and allowing myself to realize that the rule of "no smoking" on campus is actually a gift because we have to go to the "corner" where we are able to meet and interact with new people every single day.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to think that the people who smoke and hang out at the "corner" are more friendly than other people who congregate in different areas on campus.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to think that I can only meet new people who smoke and hang out at the "corner" instead of realizing that when people are forced into a certain area that communication will happen with those who are forced into that area.


I forgive myself for not accepting and allowing myself to realize, see, and understand that I am using my own self-interest (smoking) in order to meet, talk, and communicate with new people by believing that going to the "corner" allows me to meet and communicate with new people instead of realizing that you can meet and communicate with new people no matter where you are or where you meet them.

I commit myself to notice when and as my self-interest of habits and desires/wants allow me to meet, talk, and communicate with new people.

I commit myself to follow the rules of "no smoking" - not accepting or allowing myself to smoke in a non-smoking area just because I feel like I need to.

I commit myself to meet, talk, and communicate with new people no matter where I am.


1 comment:

  1. Cool realization, Jonathan - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete