Thursday, September 13, 2012

Day 44: Saudi Arabia and Rednecks

     I have been meeting a lot of people from Saudi Arabia lately and always enjoy our conversations. Yesterday I asked someone from Saudi Arabia how they like it here compared to the big cities in the US and he said he "loved" it here. He likes it here better than big cities like Dallas, Austin, Cincinnati, etc.. and I didn't understand. I am in the bible belt of the US and a pretty southern area. I said I don't like the "rednecks" and "hillbillies" and would rather live in a big city. He said that I was using a stereotype and he was completely right. He made me realize that I have labeled the people here in this city as "hillbillies" and "rednecks"

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to label the people in this town as "rednecks" and "hillbillies"

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to place people in categories such as southerners, rednecks, and hillbillies not realizing that by placing people in categories that I am separating myself from the people I have placed in these categories.

I forgive myself for not accepting and allowing myself to realize that I have believed the idea of the stereotypical redneck before I came to school here and that this belief is how I judge/label others who live in this town and have a southern accent. 

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing hearing a southern accent to exist as a trigger point which triggers thoughts of judgement/labels I place on those with the accent.

I forgive myself for not accepting and allowing that humans cannot help the accent they have because it was determined by where they were born.

I forgive myself for not accepting and allowing myself to realize that I also have an accent 

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to believe that I would be happier living in a big or different city not realizing that over the years my happiness has never been determined by what city I have lived in.

I forgive myself for not accepting and allowing myself to realize that happiness is not determined by what city you live in but by who you are in each moment of breath. 

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to use the excuse of thinking I will be happier in a different or big city not realizing that using this excuse is only a reason to blind myself from what I accept and allow.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to think that my happiness is determined by what city I live in instead of realizing that where you live has nothing to do with your own happiness unless you are living in constant poverty or a warzone.

I forgive myself for not accepting and allowing myself to realize that I don't live in an area of poverty or a warzone so I am pretty lucky and have no actual reason to complain about where I live at the moment.

When and as I notice myself labeling those with a southern accent as "rednecks" or "hillbillies" I stop and I breathe. I realize labeling/judging someone based on the accent of their voice has is me judging them based on how they sound which has nothing to do with how they are as a person but it shows me who I am as a person and how quick I am to judge others. I commit myself to physically bring myself back here when and as I notice myself labeling someone in my mind as a redneck or hillbilly by simply listening to them right here in the physical as I realize that we are all equal and one no matter what kind of accent another person has. 


When and as I wish or think I lived in a different city I stop and breathe. I realize the city that I live in has nothing to do with how happy I am as I have proof of this by living in different cities through the past 5 years. I realize that one's happiness is determined by who they are in every moment of breath and I realize that there is only one breath that is taken at a time. I commit myself to notice the hills and mountains that exist here as they are very beautiful scenery



1 comment:

  1. cool
    "I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to believe that I would be happier living in a big or different city not realizing that over the years my happiness has never been determined by what city I have lived in." here we can see clearly how the content of the mind is a completely separate reality from the actuality

    ReplyDelete