Saturday, March 16, 2013

Day 147: Analytical Musical Mind Part 2

continued from Day 146: Analytical Musical Mind

I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to realize that I have declined my listening of jazz because when I listen I am listening in an analytical way that prevents me from simply listening and not realizing that trying to figure out what is going on harmonically while listening to jazz has led to this decline of listening to jazz.
 
I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to label/define myself as a "jazz major"
 
I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed learning tunes that need to be memorized to influence the state I am in while listening to jazz and how this has affected the enjoyment of simply listening to improvised/jazz music.
 
I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to only listen to jazz/improvised music and shutting myself off from anything that isn't in this style not realizing that I think I need to listen to jazz/improvisation all the time because those who improvise and have had success say it is like learning a new language and that if you wanna learn how to improvise you have to listen all the time but I have accepted and allowed myself to believe that I need to only listen to this style of music because of the want/desire to learn how to play this style of music and I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed the want/desire of learning this style of music to make listening to it dull and tedious.
 
I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe that I need to learn and memorize every jazz tune that I listen to and have accepted and allowed this belief to put me in a state of mind that is analytical that doesn't allow me to listen for the sake of listening.
 
I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to realize that listening to other styles of music has supported me with enjoying music which allows me to simply sit down and listen without any thoughts of analysis and I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to think of what is going on harmonically whenever I listen to improvisation/jazz like what the soloist is playing, what the rhythm section is doing, and what part of the form the band is at and have accepted and allowed this analytical thinking to take me to the point where I don't enjoy listening to improvisation/jazz anymore.
 
I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed knowledge and information about improvisation/jazz to limit me to only listening to this style and to disregard any other style of music because I feel that I need to listen to improvisation/jazz all the time in order to learn it.
 
I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to listen to a tune in an analytical way in a responsible way once a day and since I haven't accepted and allowed myself to do this it has led me to go into an analytical state everytime I listen to jazz/improvisation.
 
I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to realize that when I first started to enjoy listening to improvisation/jazz that I didn't think analyitical as I do now which allowed me to listen without any thought.
 
I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to realize the want/desire to learn how to improvise has led me to seeing jazz/improvisation as a task

I realize that listening to other styles of music besides jazz helps stop this analytical mind that I have while because while listening to others styles that are not improvisation/jazz I don't think with this analytical mind and that listening to other styles is actually a form of support and that this transfers to when I actually do listen to jazz.

I realize that setting out a time everyday for analytical listening - listening in this analytical mind for only the required time I have set out and to only allow myself to think in this analytical way for the time I have set out will help stop my analytical mind while listening to jazz because after doing this analytical thinking while listening then I have gotten it out of the way and have no use for thinking analytically anymore but only for the enjoyment of listening.

I commit myself to notice when and as I go into an analytical state of mind while listening to jazz/improvisation and to not accept or allow this analytical state of mind to continue while listening to jazz/improvisation.

I commit myself to set a specific time each day when I am to listen/study the tunes that I am learning and once this time is over then I am done with all attentive/selective listening for the day and I commit myself to realize when I am done with selective listening with the tunes I am learning for the day and to not accept and allow this selective listening to continue.

I commit myself to listen to the tunes that I need to learn and memorize in an analytical state of mind for a specific period of time each day allowing myself to get the analytical thinking that is required to learn this art form out of the way once I have done it and I commit myself to stop and breathe when and as I notice this analytical type of thinking coming up after I am done with the time I have set out for this attentive/selective type of listening.

I commit myself to listen to other styles of music other than improvisation/jazz as I realize that when and as I am listening to something that is not improvised that this analytical mind doesn't come up and I just listen.

I commit myself to not accept and allow the knowledge and information I have learned about improvisation/jazz to influence myself into going into an analytical state of mind while listening to jazz for the sake of listening.


 







 
 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment