Monday, November 24, 2014

Day 249: Discipline of Music

Something I have learned is that habits change through space and time and not through thought. Their are a lot of things I would like to change about myself. Through the past couple years I have only changed a few things that have to do with my daily living. I used to play trumpet every day but I have burnt myself out on it or may have some other issues with it that I am not aware of but what I have learned is that for something to change it has to be done every day. I did this thing called the trumpet routine for 2-3 hours every day for around 9 years. It was the first thing I did when I woke up. It gave me a type of discipline and I eventually saw the results. When looking back on it now, I remember the first 6 months were crap and I didn't see much results. After that my playing started to change because I was doing the same thing at usually the same time of the day, every single day. The routine was something that covered all aspects of the instrument and it was physically taxing. I always felt better after doing it because I woke up and started my day with a discipline that I stuck with for a long time.

This one thing, starting the day out playing the horn for 2-3 hours eventually had a ripple effect that led to other areas in my life like studying and practicing. Now that I am not doing the routine I have found myself with doing nothing consistently. So I realize how having one discipline can have a ripple effect that happens. The Adam Routine is one of the only things I have actually allowed myself to do that was an actual discipline. The routine led to practicing of course. Within this, I realize that this can be done with anything in daily living.

Now, I am working instead of going to school and I don't really care for it but I know I have to do it because I am in a lot of debt. LOL, I never really cared for school either. Being burnt out on the horn and not having a daily routine has allowed me to see how supportive it is to have a daily routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment